Friday, January 4, 2008

Sneak Peek into ZACH's production of PORGY AND BESS...

Happy New Year ZACH Folks!
We're super excited about our upcoming production of
The Gershwins' PORGY AND BESS.

This post (and subsequent postings) will give you a glimpse into the production as it comes to life.


Notes from the director, Dave Steakley:
As I began to imagine ZACH’s Diamond Anniversary season, I hoped that we would, in part, look back to the time when Austin Civic Theatre – the precursor to ZACH - was being created in the height of the Great Depression, and discover what plays and musicals were also making their debut in the mid to late 1930’s. My desire in looking back at this historical moment in time is to create a conversation that has relevance for today. As I researched what shows came to life on Broadway in the 30’s – one title immediately jumped off the page because it has been on my wish list for us to produce for over 10 years – the Gershwin masterpiece Porgy and Bess.

Ten years ago we produced Dreamgirls to great critical and audience acclaim at ZACH and then the following season at the Paramount in an expanded version. I had a conversation during that time with actor Joe York in which he said, “You really ought to follow this up with Porgy and Bess.” It was one of Joe’s favorite shows and it planted a seed in me. My familiarity with the show, like many people, was limited to the various versions of “Summertime” which have been sung by countless jazz and popular musical artists. Joe’s comments sent me digging, and being a soul music fan I was delighted to discover that Ray Charles and Cleo Laine had made a wonderful recording of the music from the opera in their style. It became for me a wonderful and perfect introduction to this beautiful score. Digging further I discovered Nina Simone’s moving recordings of a couple of the songs, and the wonderful recording made by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. These recordings became my window into this terrific music by George and Ira Gershwin. My dream was that we would create a version of Porgy and Bess that was inspired by these legendary recordings I have grown to love so much.

ZACH’s 75th Anniversary opens with Porgy and Bess at the brand spanking new Austin Music Hall. We chose this venue because it will primarily host Austin’s live music concerts, and one of our goals is to find dynamic ways which bridge the experience of Austin’s live music scene to our theatre. There is a synergistic vibrancy in both which can find a point of common interest in ZACH’s production of Porgy and Bess.
Tickets for this dynamic production are now on sale.
Call 476-0594 xt. 1 and make your reservations now!
Limited two week run - January 25 - February 3, 2008
A ZACH Theatre production at the All New Austin Music Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment